April 14, 2008

The bun in the oven

WARNING: if you don't care about "pregnancy talk," don't bother reading this.
I'm freaking out just a little today. To spare you the technical pregnancy jargon, and to spare all of you male gendered readers, let's just say that at my doctor's appointment today, it became apparent that things are "moving along." Now, don't get me wrong. I have been walking all over creation trying to get things "moving along," but there is a new catch. My strep B test came back positive. For those who don't know, this is a complication that requires two doses of medicine during labor, which cannot be administered less than 4 hours apart. Without this medicine, serious risks to the baby are involved. I know what you're thinking, no biggie, right? WRONG! You see, my first labor was 6 hours, and my second labor was 4 hours. Based on that information alone, it would be safe to say that my next labor will certainly be LESS THAN 4 hours, if not more like 2. So you see, unless my labor is induced (which my doctor will NOT do sooner than 39 weeks), the chances of me getting that medicine are slim. Besides, it takes a good hour of contractions before you decide that you are really in labor, and make the mad dash to the hospital. By that time, I will only have an hour or two left before the new dude makes his appearance. I feel like I should put myself on bed rest just to be safe. But wait! I am not even CLOSE to being ready for this baby to arrive! I have laundry, cooking, yard work, shopping, and all sorts of other fun preparations to make. Hmmmmm. What to do, what to do?!

Ipod update:
Oh, on a side note, Jason was brave enough to take my ipod in to the apple store and play dumb. Would you believe they actually replaced it! Yay for me, and I didn't even have to compromise my integrity!

12 comments:

K said...

It's called friends and family. That's what you do, you ask for help! You take care of you and the baby and let everyone else help out. That's what it's all about. I know I'm far away, but if you need help on a weekend or with anything I can do from a distance, let me know. I seriously would love to help out any way I can. Other than that, you'll be in our prayers.

Marc Gingell said...

Sweet, I love pregnancy talk. At least one shot will be helpful, 2 is best but one still helps. Fast labors mean the baby is in contact with the bacteria for a shorter amount of time, also a plus. Not every baby in contact with GBS will even get it.... There's always the "every labor is different" thing. We can all cross our fingers for 6 hrs to give you time to get to the dr and get your 2 doses. Which hospital are you going to?


And niiiiiiiiice on the ipod. Did he just act like it randomly quit working?

marianne said...

to Hillary:
delivering at Davis, and referring to the ipod, ya, according to Jason, "we don't know why it won't turn on."

Marc Gingell said...

At least your hospital is close! I had Addie at Alta View. I was scared to death that I would go into labor at home. Shoulda known better....

Me said...

Wow I had no idea about the 2 doses 4 hours apart thing. The group B strep came back positive for me with Jenna, and since my labor was so freaking long I guess they didn't bother to tell me what they were giving me at certain points (i was pretty out of it anyway.) Good luck though, feel free to ask for any help with anything. And awesome about the ipod!

The Patrona said...

Marianne!!!!Sit down girl! You are on house arrest! Your only job is to get that baby here, as best as you can. Forget about the little details. It's time to call in the troops. That is what your family, ward members and friends are for. I know i'm a total long, lost, flakey, liberal, kind of a friend, but i'll bring you dinner and clean your house whenever. You just lay down and put your legs up. When is this offspring set to arrive?

missy. said...

i'm wishing you all the best, marianne! you might want to read this article that discusses the use of antibiotics to treat group b strep. i like the article because it acknowledges that there is a lot to learn about group b strep that doctors may not think to mention to expectant mothers:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/group-b.html

here are a couple of highlights, in case you unexpectedly go into labor and don't have time to read the whole thing :)

"There are three significant factors that place a woman at increased risk of delivering an infant who becomes ill from GBS: fever during labor, her water breaking 18 hours or more before delivery (prolonged rupture of membranes, or PROM), and/or labor or broken water before 37 weeks gestation."

(in other words, your doctor is totally right to not induce you prematurely, and if your labor is as short as you're expecting, that's a very good thing!)

"GBS is a bacterium that normally lives in the intestinal tracts of many healthy people. A vaginal-rectal area colonized by GBS should not be termed "infected" any more than an intestinal tract colonized by GBS would be. GBS is a problem only when it is present in the genital area of a pregnant woman during labor and delivery. When this happens, there is a small risk that the bacterium will be passed on to the newborn infant, and that she or he will become sick as a result. Approximately 0.5 percent of women found to have GBS bacteria in their genital areas at 35 to 37 weeks into their pregnancies will go on to deliver a baby who becomes ill from GBS. This is 0.5 percent of women who receive no antibiotics during labor and delivery."

(you might want to talk to your doctor about re-testing as you come closer to the due date. in some women the diagnosis changes as it gets closer. although it is likely you will still be positive, and your doctor will probably continue to recommend use of antibiotics during labor, at least you can take comfort in knowing that a full-term baby born after a quick labor has a significantly lower risk of contracting group b strep!)

if you can't tell, i love pregnancy talk :) keep it comin'!

Melissa said...

Hey! I hope all goes well. If you need any help, please call me. Seriously, I am home all day so I can watch your kids or anything, Zachary loves having playmates come over!

The Coombs' said...

Ditto, on the offer for help. Let me know if I can do anything. We would also love to have the kids come over and play. You know Gabe would LOVE it. Even if you want us to come to your place and I can help you clean and all that fun stuff. Mar, you and I are made of the same stuff and I know you probably won't call anyone, and cleaning is WAY too important to let it go undone, but really, call me anytime!

Emily said...

Love the "prego" talk. I have always tested positive. I totally understand your anxiety. It helped me to realize that you are probably not the first to have ever been in that situation with fast labor and testing "positive." Just trust the doctors and put a lot of faith in the Lord. Good luck! Can't wait to hear more prego talk!
Em

Kara said...

Wish I was there to lend a helping hand! I have no comforting words or advice on this subject. Good luck with everything. I m looking forward to seeing the pictures of the cute little guy!

Alexis 18 said...

Mar you still pregnant? what day are you planning on getting induced? hopefully soon. Don't worry to much about the Strep B. I had it with Ayden and it wasn't a big deal. My friend here just had a baby in December and had it and walked into the hospital and had the baby 50 minutes later-she didn't even get an IV that's how bad the hospital is here-and her baby is great. They said that because she went so fast the likely hood of the baby getting it was rare, so hopefully if you go fast you won't have to worry. Hopefully you do go fast-but not too fast, so you don't get DRUGS!!!! they are needed!!! Good luck and keep us updated on that soon to be Duke!
lex