That's right folks, we at the Duke house are doing our best to get ready for the up and coming Halloween season. Let me explain:
I was in the kitchen doing the dishes this afternoon when Halle came running in the house screaming, "Mommy, there's a BAT in the garage!" I chuckled a little, and said, "no, sweetie, there's not a bat in our garage." I knew it was probably just a dust ball or something, considering the GIGANTIC spider that was on our windshield the other day, that turned out to just be a crack in the glass. "No, mommy, come see! It has fur!" I decided I'd better go take a look, just to calm her down, so I walked out into the garage, sure that she was making something out of nothing.
"It's right there, mom." I couldn't see anything. "Look, right on that big red thing (our rake)" . "SHHHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK!" It WAS a bat! I frantically scurried all of the neighbor kids out of the garage, because by this point, I was the LAST one to see the bat. I racked my brain for any big strong men in the neighborhood who I could suscept to rabies. The only person I was pretty sure would be home was Kirk Poulsen, because his wife works in the middle of the night. I ran over to their house, and pleaded, "Could you come help me . . . there's a bat in my garage." The smirk on his face said it all; he thought it was comical that I was being such a 'girl'. So off we went, me and my big strong bat catcher.
When we got to my house, the bat had crawled up to the top of my garage, and was hiding in a corner. Kirk asked me for a ladder, some gloves, and a garbage bag. I thought he was CRAZY for trying to catch the thing. If it were me (which it wouldn't be, because I would never go NEAR the thing), I would just try to poke it with something long so that it would fly out on its own. Well, we got a combination of the two. While trying to bag it, it flew out of his grasp and started flying around in circles inside the garage. Eventually he flew out, buzzing me and all the neighbor kids, causing a wave of scraming and a scattering of children in every which way. SUCH a good time. I'm so glad nobody got rabies. At least I don't think. I made Kirk promise that if HE got rabies, he wouldn't sue me.



I was in the kitchen doing the dishes this afternoon when Halle came running in the house screaming, "Mommy, there's a BAT in the garage!" I chuckled a little, and said, "no, sweetie, there's not a bat in our garage." I knew it was probably just a dust ball or something, considering the GIGANTIC spider that was on our windshield the other day, that turned out to just be a crack in the glass. "No, mommy, come see! It has fur!" I decided I'd better go take a look, just to calm her down, so I walked out into the garage, sure that she was making something out of nothing.
"It's right there, mom." I couldn't see anything. "Look, right on that big red thing (our rake)" . "SHHHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK!" It WAS a bat! I frantically scurried all of the neighbor kids out of the garage, because by this point, I was the LAST one to see the bat. I racked my brain for any big strong men in the neighborhood who I could suscept to rabies. The only person I was pretty sure would be home was Kirk Poulsen, because his wife works in the middle of the night. I ran over to their house, and pleaded, "Could you come help me . . . there's a bat in my garage." The smirk on his face said it all; he thought it was comical that I was being such a 'girl'. So off we went, me and my big strong bat catcher.
When we got to my house, the bat had crawled up to the top of my garage, and was hiding in a corner. Kirk asked me for a ladder, some gloves, and a garbage bag. I thought he was CRAZY for trying to catch the thing. If it were me (which it wouldn't be, because I would never go NEAR the thing), I would just try to poke it with something long so that it would fly out on its own. Well, we got a combination of the two. While trying to bag it, it flew out of his grasp and started flying around in circles inside the garage. Eventually he flew out, buzzing me and all the neighbor kids, causing a wave of scraming and a scattering of children in every which way. SUCH a good time. I'm so glad nobody got rabies. At least I don't think. I made Kirk promise that if HE got rabies, he wouldn't sue me.
Here's the proof:

12 comments:
OK way too funny. Not only is it a funny story but the fact that you got pictures and held the camera still enough while screaming and running around with the garage with the neighborhood kids is great!
~Michelle
Thanks for that! That's hilarious. Although, only because it happened to someone else, not me. I would have been a mess! And I would not have been able to even hold still long enough to take a picture! What the heck is a bat doing around here anyway??
EEEEKKK!! If someone told me there was a bat in my garage I wouldn't have believed them either. Ew!
Ew that is siiiiick! i would have freaked out so good thing u didn't call me...but then again, u knew that didn't you haha.
You kill me. Too funny picturing you screaming and trying to come up with someone to catch it. I would have had to do it myself, so you're lucky. I wonder how it got in there?
Oh my gosh! That is crazy. I can't believe that....
EEWWW MARIANNE!! I am never going in MY garage ever again!! lol Okay so I will, but I will be forever paranoid and searching for bats.
I am reminded of the Office where Dwight traps the bat right after it bites Merideth. Do I see a Michael Scott 2nd annual rabies awareness for the cure in our future?
Nasty! Love that you got pictures of it though!
You go girl! Ryan and I caught a bat last year for the Clopten's across the street. Ryan had to be the big shot and brave one while I helped it into the box. The bat lived just over a week. We read a little on how to keep a bat as a pet and when people found out we kept it - they thought we were crazy!
That's too funny! I know how you feel. We had a bat in our mailbox in Texas once. I almost reached in and then I saw it. It was freaky!!!!
Romney! That's so crazy! Maybe you should have kept it through the Halloween Season. It adds to the ambiance. That's a great story...it made me laugh!
Post a Comment